Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Beyond Nestea

If there's one drink I really miss since having gone on a sugar-free diet, it's iced tea.

Sure, there are sugar free iced teas out there but the best iced teas are the ones made from scratch, and while I can do it at home there are few establishments that do it sugar-free.

Beginnings

My infatuation with iced tea started a long time ago. Even before Nestea first came out. As a child, I remember what a treat it was to drink Butterfly iced tea. I recall it was mostly sweet, but with a definitely strong tea flavor in it. They apparently stopped marketing it sometime in the 80s and I had to make do with instant Lipton and the later ubiqitous Nestea.

As I grew older I started to enjoy the really strong iced tea they served in Hong Kong. Over there, iced tea was made using the very strong, often bitter chinese black tea. Ordering an iced tea in the then-still Crown colony meant taking British-style, brewed very strong and liberally sweetened with evaporated milk.

A-List

Here's a list (in no particular order) of what I consider to be some of Manila's better iced teas, feel free to write in and give your opinions on your favorite iced teas as well -

- Passionata from Edsa Shangri-La Hotel (very sweet and mixed with passionfruit juice)

- Valle Verde Country Club Iced Tea (made with LOTS of calamansi)

- Wendy's Iced Tea (I used to go to Wendy's just to order the iced tea)

- Starbuck's Passion Iced Tea

- Hong Kong-style Iced Tea (both milk & lemon) from David's Tea House

More on brewed iced teas in the next installment.

1 comment:

Flora Jimenez said...

Hi Stan! I enjoy your blog as, like you, I'm a foodie too! Was wondering if you ever tried the iced tea at UNO, which is a small Italian/Continental restaurant located in the Scout area in QC. I'm not an iced tea connoisseur like you but together with Wendy's (which I noticed you sited) it's one of my favorite iced teas.

Come visit NY and we'll explore the restos together.

Hugs to Jen and the boys!

Powered By Blogger